Commissioned by The Pursuit of History and limited to 200 prints, each signed and numbered by the artist, Larry Stuart.
A new series of prints commissioned by The Pursuit of History recognizes America’s great historic sites. The design is inspired by the iconic posters of the National Parks created by the Federal Art Project of Works Progress Administration in the 1930s that have now become collector's items.
Overlooking Lake Champlain and Lake George, Fort Ticonderoga controlled access north and south between Albany and Montreal and played an important role in the French and Indian War and the Revolutionary War.
An original work of art, screen printed and limited to 200 prints, each signed and numbered. Released in March 2021.
Available unframed and framed. Ships immediately.
Proceeds benefit the non-profit organization The Pursuit of History. A portion of the proceeds from the sale of these prints will go to Fort Ticonderoga, which we encourage you to visit. More information on planning a visit to the Fort Ticonderoga is available at FortTiconderoga.org.
Paper size is 16" x 20".
View all of our original fine art prints honoring America’s great historic sites at ThePursuitOfHistory.org/prints
About the Artist
Larry Stuart is an illustrator and lettering-artist who incorporates a sense of history and the well worn into his work. He loves the patina of rural America and enjoys wandering back roads looking for inspiration. He's been to more Civil War sites than you’d think is possible. You can see more of his work at larrystuartstudio.com
About Fort Ticonderoga
"Fort Ticonderoga, formerly Fort Carillon, is a large 18th-century star fort built by the French at a narrows near the south end of Lake Champlain, in northern New York, in the United States. It was constructed by Canadian-born French military engineer Michel Chartier de Lotbinière, Marquis de Lotbinière between October 1755 and 1757, during the action in the "North American theater" of the Seven Years' War, often referred to in the US as the French and Indian War. The fort was of strategic importance during the 18th-century colonial conflicts between Great Britain and France, and again played an important role during the Revolutionary War.
Fort Ticonderoga, overlooking Lake Champlain (2015)
"The site controlled a river portage alongside the mouth of the rapids-infested La Chute River, in the 3.5 miles (5.6 km) between Lake Champlain and Lake George. It was thus strategically placed for the competition over trade routes between the British-controlled Hudson River Valley and the French-controlled Saint Lawrence River Valley.
"The terrain amplified the importance of the site. Both lakes were long and narrow and oriented north–south, as were the many ridge lines of the Appalachian Mountains, which extended as far south as Georgia. The mountains created nearly impassable terrains to the east and west of the Great Appalachian Valley that the site commanded.
The name "Ticonderoga" comes from the Iroquois word tekontaró:ken, meaning "it is at the junction of two waterways".
"During the 1758 Battle of Carillon, 4,000 French defenders were able to repel an attack by 16,000 British troops near the fort. In 1759, the British returned and drove a token French garrison from the fort. During the Revolutionary War, when the British controlled the fort, it was attacked on May 10, 1775, in the Capture of Fort Ticonderoga by the Green Mountain Boys and other state militia under the command of Ethan Allen and Benedict Arnold, who captured it in the surprise attack. Cannons taken from the fort were transported to Boston to lift its siege by the British, who evacuated the city in March 1776. The Americans held the fort until June 1777, when British forces under General John Burgoyne occupied high ground above it; the threat resulted in the Continental Army troops being withdrawn from the fort and its surrounding defenses. The only direct attack on the fort during the Revolution took place in September 1777, when John Brown led 500 Americans in an unsuccessful attempt to capture the fort from about 100 British defenders.
"The British abandoned the fort after the failure of the Saratoga campaign, and it ceased to be of military value after 1781. After gaining independence, the United States allowed the fort to fall into ruin; local residents stripped it of much of its usable materials. Purchased by a private family in 1820, it became a stop on tourist routes of the area. Early in the 20th century, its private owners restored the fort. A foundation now operates the fort as a tourist attraction, museum, and research center."
[Note: We have added the text watermark to the preview images protect our original design from those who would pirate it on other print-on-demand sites. Unfortunately, we learned this the hard way. The Pursuit of History is the copyright owner to this original work and any other versions of this design are unauthorized and illegally produced.]
Note that the print offered here is of original art commissioned by The Pursuit of History and is not a WPA design and is not in the public domain. It is copyrighted by The Pursuit of History and the artist, Larry Stuart.